This is a simple tutorial on how to jailbreak iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1 using Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 jailbreak tool.
Recently I updated my iPhone 4S to Apple’s latest and greatest, iOS 5.1.1. There is nothing revolutionary in this update, it fixes a few bugs and that’s about it. It is still recommended to have the latest version of iOS to avoid security breaches. Apple considers jailbreak as security threat for iOS while it is true the main reason is that it is losing a lot of money due to apps available on Cydia.
Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 jailbreak tool is developed by iPhone Dev team and this is latest version which works with iOS 5.1.1 installed on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, and iPod Touch.
This tutorial will walk you through the entire jailbreak process from Windows user perspective but jailbreak process on Mac is very similar so you will get an idea.
Important things you should know before you get started with jailbreak for iPhone 4S:
- This is for educational use only and can be harmful to your iPhone 4S and your data. We don’t take any responsibility for broken or damaged devices.
- Jailbreak is legal in most if not all countries around the world
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone you risk to void your warranty
- Backup your iPhone before you proceed with this tutorial
- Update iTunes to latest version before you proceed
- Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 supports iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS running on iOS 5.1.1.
- Please ensure your iPhone is on iOS 5.1.1 (Settings -> General -> About -> Version should be 5.1.1) before proceeding.
- This is untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4S
Now I believe you are ready to jailbreak your iPhone 4S so let’s get started:
Step 1: Download Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 for Windows (here) and Redsn0w for Mac (here) and save the application in a folder named “Redsn0w” on your desktop (I hope I don’t have to explain how to do that).
Step 2: Extract all files from archive to folder you created on your desktop
Step 3: Now run redsn0w.exe as Administrator. To do so, right click on the redns0w.exe and choose “Run as administrator” as you can see on image bellow.
Step 4: Now after launching Redsn0w, click on the Jailbreak button
Step 5: Redn0w will start the jailbreak process on its own and will get you through the fallowing three stages:
- Finishing up
The whole process should take minutes, if it takes hours you should start wondering.
Step 6: Once the three steps are completed, the Redsn0w will inform that your iPhone is jailbokren. But please, leave your device alone, it will reboot on its own and after that it will respring (restart springboard) your device. So don’t interrupt!
Now your iPhone 4S is jailbroken and you can check that by looking for Cyrida between your apps. It should be somewhere. If you can’t find it just use default iOS search.
If you did everything as detailed above and did pay attention to my suggestions before doing jailbreak there is very slight chance that you might face any errors. For support please leave a comment bellow and I will try to help as much as I could.
How hard it was to jailbreak iPhone 4S using this tutorial?