How to make sure that your Mac can run OS X Mountain Lion and how to upgrade?
OSX Mountain Lion is approaching its official release date which is set for mid-July. We all know whatâ€™s new in upcoming OS X Mountain Lion version but will it run on your machine?
Here is how you can check if your Mac can run is OS X Mountain Lion.
- Pull down the Apple menu and select â€śAbout This Macâ€? and now click on â€śMore Infoâ€?
- Make note of the exact Mac model and the release date, and then compare that to the list below.
Above you can see a screenshot of MacBook Pro with Retina display which is supported by OS X Mountain Lion and will be supported for next OS X version for at least some 2-3 years. In you Mac you should pay attention to highlighted information which shows Mac model and release date.
Here is the list of Macs that support OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Â Â Â
- iMac (Mid 2007 or later)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Even if you have Mac Pro released in 2007 with your custom upgrades like more RAM, bigger storage and others you are still left out of the game. Yes, it isnâ€™t fair but itâ€™s Apple, so get used to it.
How to Upgrade from Snow Leopard or Lion
To upgrade your Mac it must be running following OS X versions:
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow LeopardÂ or later
- Mac OS X 10.7.1 Lion or later
Upgrade will be available through the App Store as a download this is the reasons why Lion or at Least Snow Leopard is required to get the latest and greatest OS X version.
Apple recently released OS X Mountain Lion GM (Golden Master) which for developers which is the final test version before it becomes available for consumers. OS X Mountain Lion will be released sometime this month for $19.99 as an upgraded from OS X Snow Leopard or OS X Lion.
Will let you know once OS X Mountain Lion is available for download but it shouldnâ€™t take more than few weeks for Apple to release it.